Tuesday, November 4, 2014

You don't eat sugar? Why? What is wrong with you?

If you decide to really REALLY cut sugar and processed food out of your diet, be prepared!  It has been my experience that people take it very personally as if you are attacking them or somehow your decision is affect them.  So, be warned, people can be kind of jerky about it.

The first question people ask after they get over their little fit, is why?  The why is easy.  We all know that sugar is bad for us.  We all know that sugar causes and contributes to a whole slew of health problems.I truly believe that most people have no idea how much sugar they consume.  They don't read labels.  Once you do, your mind will be blown!  A little bit of trivia, in the 1800's an average person consumed only 9lbs of sugar a year. Today... One hundred and fifty-six pounds. That's how much added sugar Americans consume each year on a per capita basis, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). Imagine it: 31 five-pound bags for each of us.  To me that is just crazy!  And, since the sugar industry makes an estimated 11.6 billion dollars a year, I don't think it is going anywhere.

So, there you have part of the why.  The second question How?

Well, I just did it.  Like almost anything it starts with determination and making up your mind and most importantly believing that you can do it!  I prepared mentally, then I physically.  Meaning I set out with a plan.  I made a menu, I went shopping and I made sure that my family knew what I was doing.   Am I perfect, not even close, am I am going to be perfect in cutting sugar and processed foods from my diet.  Nope.  And, that is Okay!  Part of this decision was knowing that it was not going to be 100% everyday of every year until forever.  But, here is the thing.  I try every single day!  I made if for seven months, so when I conscientiously decided to indulge on vacation I didn't sweat it.

Since I am now starting over, it is pretty easy for me to tell you what a "normal" day looks like for the first two weeks for me.  I am not saying this is what you will do or even want to do but, for me I want to start fresh with NO sugar.  Which means no fruit, dairy, bread or anything else.

Breakfast: eggs will become your best friend.  And, you will learn that you can be pretty darn creative with them.  Depending on what veggie/seasoning you use you can completely change the the taste!

On the days that I don't do eggs, I do a protein shake.  Be warned though, you need to find one that doesn't have added sugar.  The one that I use has no added sugar but has two grams of naturally occurring sugar.  I have learned that 0-2 grams have zero impact on your glucose levels or in detoxing.  (this knowledge comes in really handy later!)  I typically add spinach, kale or some other leafy green to my shake.  And, yes my kids will drink it.  If you get the ratio right you don't taste the veggies!

Lunch looks like this:
 Turkey wrapped with a romaine lettuce leaf with avocado (after two weeks I add tomato).- my favorite!
A chef salad with a lean meat, chicken, turkey etc and as many veggies as I can find.  cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, green onions, radish etc. again tomato after the first two weeks!

Now this is where those 0-2 grams comes in really handy.  It is extremely, extremely difficult to find a salad dressing with no sugar.  I have tried making my own and so far is hasn't tasted edible!
Just remember low fat/reduced fat they replace the fat with sugar!  Low bad/whole good.

Dinner, this is where it gets easy!
Chicken,fish,pork or beef steamed veggies and a salad or quinoa.  If you don't know about quinoa, go google it right now!  Seriously!

Snacks would include almonds, sesame seeds, pickles, cucumbers, green beans.

I will slowly be added recipes.  Tips and tricks that I have learned over the last seven months but, if you have a question, please ask.  I am not going to promise that I will know the answer but I will try my best!



2 comments:

  1. I love this! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Kim. I went 53 days with no sugar from November 2, to Christmas. But the past week I've been awful. So I've read your blog again, and I'm starting over! This time I'm determined to be sugar-free until our reunion in July! Are you ready???

    ReplyDelete